10 Things You Should Know About Major League DJz
10 Things You Should Know About Major League DJz. Major League DJz is a South African hip-hop/kwaito music band consisting of twin brothers Bandile and Banele Mbere. The duo has completely revolutionised kwaito music into the modern urban culture of music, and are now dominating the amapiano music genre.
As much as you may know them for releasing smash hits till date and their recent YouTube web-series Amapiano Live Balcony Mix Africa that sees them performing live sets. Here are 10 things you should know about the duo:
- Major League DJz were born in Boston, Massachusetts in USA, on 3 January 1991. Their family moved to South Africa in 1995 following the fall of apartheid – they were four years old at the time.
- Their father was a pianist and he grew up with Bra Hugh in the same street in Sophiatown, so they were introduced to music at a very young age.
- In primary school, the duo used to play the piano, and after completing their high school, they started DJ and music production.
- The twins are 30 years old this year.
- The twins have hosted parties for 50 Cent, Akon, and Fat Joe.
- They have also performed on the same stage as some international artists such as Kanye West and Kid Cudi.
- In 2017, the duo revealed that they neither speak Zulu or Xhosa. “As time went by we got used to it, and we started to understand the language. We are just not comfortable speaking the languages because we would get laughed at, when we tried. So I understand and I can relate but I don’t speak Xhosa or Zulu. We can also reply with some words,” they said.
- The twins revealed they look up to Shimza, Black Coffee, Culoe de Song, DJ Zinhle and Oskido.
- Major League DJ Bandile dated Nadia Nakai, while Banele used to date Mihlali Ndamase.
- Both DJz revealed that they don’t mind splurging money of clothes.